The Roar Meter is a weekly story in numbers.
- First superhero movie: The Mark of Zorro, 1920
- First D.C. Comics-based movie: Superman and the Mole Men, 1951
- First female-led superhero movie: Supergirl, 1984
- Major studio releases of female-led superhero movies since (D.C. properties marked with *):
- Tank Girl, 1995
- Barb Wire, 1996
- Catwoman*, 2004
- Elektra, 2005
- Wonder Woman*, 2017
- Total number of D.C. Comics-based superhero movies: 29
- Number of Batman movies: 9
- Number of Superman movies: 8
- Number of Wonder Woman movies: 1
- Includes only movies released as of printing.
- Television movies are not included in statistics.
- Only movie leads are considered (so, for instance, Batman vs Superman is not counted as a Wonder Woman movie, although she appears in it).
Annika Barranti Klein is a writer, knitter, women’s banked track roller derby referee, and radical homeschooling mother. Her work has appeared at The Toast, The Establishment, and on Book Riot. She is a cis, white, bi-furious intersectional feminist.