The Roar Meter is a weekly story in numbers.
Average household net worth by ethnicity
- White (non-Hispanic): 132, 000
- Asian: 112,000
- Hispanic (any race): 12,000
- Black: 9,000
The same figures, with home equity removed
- White (non-hispanic): 51,000
- Asian: 42,000
- Hispanic (any race): 6,000
- Black: 3,000
Average net worth by age
- 70-74: 225,000
- Over 65: 203,000
- Over 75: 198,000
- 65-69: 194,000
- 55-64: 164,000
- 45-54: 100,000
- 35-44: 46,000
- Under 35: 7,000
Poverty and disabilities disproportionately effect income and therefore net worth.
- Average net worth of households with no members with disabilities: 90,000
- Average net worth of households with one or more members with disabilities: 62,000
- Average net worth of households not participating in government programs: 141,000
- Average net worth of households participating in Medicaid: 3,000
- Average net worth of households participating in WIC: 3,000
- Average net worth of households participating in SSI: 1,500
- Average net worth of households participating in SNAP: 1,000
*all figures in US dollars, based on the 2013 census, and rounded to nearest thousand.
Annika Barranti Klein is a writer, knitter, women’s banked track roller derby referee, and radical homeschooling mother. Her work has appeared at The Toast, The Establishment, and on Book Riot. She is a cis, white, bi-furious intersectional feminist.