The Roar Meter is a weekly story in numbers.
- Fatal Police shootings in 2016: 963
- Number of those killed who are black: 233
- Percentage of total: 24
- Number of those who are black men: 222
- Number of them who were fleeing the scene: 92
- Number of those killed who are white: 465
- Percentage of total: 48
- Number of those killed who are white men: 444
- Number of them who were fleeing the scene: 136
- Percentage of general population that is white: 72
- Percentage of general population that is black: 13
- Number of people shot by police, known to be mentally ill: 241
- The remaining 722 includes those whose mental illness status is unknown.
- Number of (known) mentally ill people shot and killed by police who are black: 34
Annika Barranti Klein is a writer, knitter, women’s banked track roller derby referee, and radical homeschooling mother. Her work has appeared at The Toast, The Establishment, and on Book Riot. She is a cis, white, bi-furious intersectional feminist.